Asato Ma Sat Gamaya

11 years is a long time, but the memories of school are still fresh. Every day started with the assembly. It was part obligatory, part duty, to attend. Through the years, the liking for it grew down exponentially. Whatever, it had a fun element which I miss now; the discipline, the order, saavdhaan and veeshraam, the pledge, the prayer…I miss them all.

Half the time during a year, assembly would be washed away by the rains. Then, the PA systems took control and brought order in chaos to the classrooms where the sounds of Asato Ma Sat Ga Maya wafted through the rooms filled with wet umbrellas.

I never realized the purpose of singing these songs, the prayer, the patriotic songs, the National Anthem etc. Leave the purpose, most of us did not understand the meanings of these songs.(The national anthem’s English translation was there in the school diary, but who would read that. :D )

Why was taking the pledge or singing the National Anthem mandatory, that too daily? Come to think of it, most of the school assembly was aimed at building one’s love for the nation. Why else was I taught patriotic songs in many languages? No, I am not complaining. I still can sing the Assamese song Ye Matire,moro mote… :-) It doesn’t end here.

The melodious Tamil song Odi Vilayaad Paapa, Pillallara Paappallara, the Telugu song with extended hums in between lines….the Kannada song Cheluvina Muddina Makkale, with mmmmm Cheluvina, ooooo Muddinna after every line…aah! writing this I am taken to a different era. No day was complete without the daily dose of news that was read out in the assembly; those days where every morning a new thought for the day was fed into our brains…book reviews and what not!

The Marathi song Aata Udhao Saare Rann, with its conspicuous na sound in Rann… I must have memorized the Sindhi song Muhijo Vatan years before I knew where Sindh was (Okay,I knew about Sindhu Nadi Sabhyata).The Gujarati song, Aakasha Ganga Surya Chandra Taara Sandhya Ushaaa koi na Nathee had to be sung in a tune that could be replicated easily by a tape moving at 0.5X, while the Sanskrit song was Om, Sanghajatwan Samwadatwam…..was very prayer like.

Old KV Logo

Old KV Logo

The set of Hindi songs from the classic Saare Jahan Se Acha to Hum Honge Kaamyaab(and it’s English version, We shall overcome) and Yeh Waqt Ki awaaz hai milke chalo to the very very slow Hind Desh Ke Niwasi Sabhi Jan ek hai…were not as interesting as the non-Hindi songs, to me at least.

The school anthem, Bharat ka swarnim gaurav Kendriya Vidyalaya layega was another song that crawled through the assembly,once a week.

The main prayer song was Daya Kar daan Vidya, which I realized was in Hindi much later. No wonder I created newer words and unwanted pauses in the already badly tuned song. You won’t believe, Paramatma, word in the song was always Para…maa..tmaa for me.

There was the Malayalam song Janmakarini Bharatam which was sung rarely. What about Kashmiri, Bengali and Punjabi?…I don’t even remember if we were taught them in our Music classes.
I can go on and on, I can even start singing.No, I spare you :D

Update: Pages from a KV school diary(with these songs) can be found at [ZIP FILE containing the images] http://bit.ly/kvsongs

1. SUPW
  2. Signs of the times
  3. In school

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 jjNo Gravatar { 07.01.09 at 10:40 pm }

Nostalgic.. I’m sure every KVian would identify with it. Still remember the assembly sessions, standing in the hot sun in the quadrangle, people fainting while assembly was on, the chaos that ensued after saying jai hind at the end of national anthem, the marching song …
The prayer song, trust me it took years to comprehend the lyrics.. ha-maaariaaa-thamaaa mein shoooo-dathadena… whoever tuned it that way…
later on in college we had something similar through the PA system.. but none like the KVian assembly!

PS: why being so modest? We all know about your singing talent!

2 Preeti ShenoyNo Gravatar { 07.01.09 at 10:51 pm }

Oh Nikhil!! As I was reading your post I was singing almost all the songs you mention here with the tune!! :) Oh yes–I remember them all! (esp–ye mati re moro mote–i didnt know it was Assamese :P )
Lovely lovely post.
Cheers
Preeti

3 Preeti ShenoyNo Gravatar { 07.01.09 at 10:52 pm }

And BTW–did you have watch duty concept when you went for morning assemblies? Or was that only in the KV i studied?

4 bincyNo Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 5:56 am }

Brought back memories, I remember all these songs with tunes. Precious post.

5 SooryaNo Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 10:06 am }

Great read first thing in the morning :)
I am still singing those songs in my mind!!! Looks like u have covered all of them.. 10/10 :D I used to love singing “Aaaaaaaaakash gannnnnnga soooooorya chandra taaaaaaaaaaara.. sandhyaaaaaaaaaaaaa ushaaaaaaaaaaaaa” coz it had my name in the lyrics ;)
And I had completely forgotten the “ye waqt ki awaz hai milke chalo” song :) thanks, for bringing in the nostalgia!
Remember few more songs sung.. “ye waqt na tehra hai.. ye waqt na teherega” ..dunno if it was only in the KV i studied. And yes, coming to think of it, Asatoma satgamaya, I agree, had hopelessly sad tune! And our princi added few more slokas in the end to make it even boring!

6 ManuNo Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 10:37 am }

Nostalgic indeed dude….really… just in case u missed this one out ..there was this almost classical song.. ” jaya jaya he bhagavati sur bharati….” goes something like this if i remember it right.. was really a tough song..nd our music teacher was bent on making us sing only this during the music period…

nd also do u you recollect the “thud..thud ” sound of students fainting nd falling down due to the scorching sun??tht was a regular incident at our KV…heard recently tht they made a roof for the assembly ground…

@ preeti: we used to hve the watch duty in our school where some students just stand and watch if we r participating in the assembly properly…

7 RamyaNo Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 11:26 am }

Wow! You really did take all us KVites for a walk down memory lane! As I was reading the post, i was singing the songs in my head just like the others before me :)

I remember that little book we got in music class which had all the songs listed. I don’t think we actually learned all of them and certainly didn’t sing all in the assembly. I was part of the assembly choir on stage and inevitably got pulled to do a ‘special item’ on Fridays when no one else had anything new to present! Not sure if you guys had ‘Sahana Vavatu’ as part of the song line up at assembly…we did and man….was that a sad tune or what!

8 scorpiogeniusNo Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 1:05 pm }

Hey thats a very interesting assembly. Never knew KV was such a cool place ;) Seedlings of National Integration, eh?

Cheers!

9 BG MaheshNo Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 1:33 pm }

There are many things I have begun to understand after ‘decades’ of passing out of school. Nobody bothered to ‘explain’ what our prayer meant, did they?

I hated history in school. Too many dates to remember and the way it was taught was torturous. But when I see few shows on the History Channel I am in love with history.

We were basically made to ‘remember’ things and not ‘understand’ things.

10 /urguNo Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 3:19 pm }

Wooooah! Never knew they were so national-integrationy in the KV’s. Nice post, btw.

11 manuscryptsNo Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 3:27 pm }

hmm, we used to sing many of these in Bhavans too!! but from the comments, i see there are far too many KVites for me to allege something ;)

12 | Balu |No Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 4:45 pm }

Like Manu said I thought these songs were Bhavans exclusive, turns out I was wrong. But it got me thinking too why do they teach the same songs in all CBSE schools. Now don’t tell me there is a syllabus for music classes too.
PS: Me too remember all these songs, we used sing err sorry scream our lungs out in music classes =D

13 ShrutiNo Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 5:48 pm }

Hi nikhi,
This piece seems to have transported back to my school days and the daily morning assemblies :)
Though i have never been a student of KV.. i have heard that long back it was prestigious to be a student of KV as the education there used to be awesome n all the top govt officials’ kids used to study there.. as opposed to today’s scenario when a KV student is not seen with awe, rather it’s the other way round (i mean it’s not the way i think but can u deny the fact – ask any person around whether they are willing to send their kids to KVs now..99% wil say no , if they can afford a pvt school education) Also see the condition of KV schools n the teachers there, though there’s also another side to it, when during board exams KV students have an above 90% pass percentage.. So many contrasts exist.. But it’s ironic how KV lost its sheen in all these years..
Anyway a nice post here n i’ll try to visit ur blog time and again..
Cheers!
Shruti

14 PraveenNo Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 10:02 pm }

I dint study in a KV..So I dont have any idea of those regional language songs..seems like a good idea to get children acquainted with almost all languages in India so that they don’t develop any kind of negative attitude to people of other states..
Assembly was one of the things I hated the most in school…but thinking of it now, I realise that whatever little discipline I have in me now were cultivated unknowingly in those assemblies

15 MrunmayNo Gravatar { 07.02.09 at 10:48 pm }

Awesome stuff buddy!!! Each and every song you have mentioned rings crystal clear in my ears…though haven’t been in a KV ever, somehow my school (Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan) had almost the EXACT repertoire of songs, a very similar ‘Bhavans Song/Anthem’ sung once a week (on every Wednesday to be precise) and an uncannily similar ‘assembly’ routine, accompanied by a round of ‘checks’ by ‘Prefects’ of whether shoes are polished or not, whether ‘haircut’ is okay and hair oiled, and ‘Tie knot’ is okay or not…Feels great to revisit those times in my mind…thank you for that!!

16 Asato Ma Sat Gamaya { 07.03.09 at 6:22 am }

[...] posted here: Asato Ma Sat Gamaya AKPC_IDS += "14265,";Popularity: unranked [?] Comments [0]Digg [...]

17 A Cynic in WonderlandNo Gravatar { 07.03.09 at 9:30 am }

you know as i started to read this post, i was going to ask you whether you are a KV product. and yes. Yes, there was the flashback to that morning assembly, where everyone was fidgeting and the teachers droned. And after reading this post, nostalgia happened – for those days, where one looked forward to new things each day.

18 gazalNo Gravatar { 07.03.09 at 8:41 pm }

well…this post has a double effect on me.I remember all these songs as a student(some of them “daya karna..”)would be a family prayer at home.
and as a teacher we are supposed to keep a strict watch and catch offenders(those who open their eyes..are shuffling their feet etc etc)during the prayer.
as i often argue wid mgmt..there will come a time in each students’ life when they will realize and accept the importance of these prayers.

19 Manish JhaNo Gravatar { 07.03.09 at 8:45 pm }

awesome dude ….
nostalgic memories :)

20 Arby KNo Gravatar { 07.03.09 at 10:23 pm }

Wow. So many. Never had that pleasure @ Chinmaya.

21 ArunaNo Gravatar { 07.04.09 at 1:27 pm }

Hey it really took me back into those mesmerizing moments of melodies…I have always loved being in the group singing on the stage…Thank you so much for triggering those memories once again…

22 Rofl IndianNo Gravatar { 07.05.09 at 1:56 am }

Superb Nikhil. Two decades is a long time, but your every word brought a broad smile to my face. Those shy stolen glances at the girls minitor, that sharing of benches with the Aartis and the Vinitas and the Rachnas… aah! Thrilling!
Daya kar daan was the staple prayer indeed. We always used to utter ‘hamaari aatme ko shoo-shata dena’. It was only quite late that we realised that it was shuddhata.
Do you remember the Marathi song ‘Chandraa gagan madhur taraka sajan…’ ? It was sung to the music of ‘Aa jaa sanam madhur chandni mey hum’. And there was a Manipuri or a Naga song sounding something like ‘Khokha pandamm maaro oorey shawyer ki…tillo rillo rillo orey shawer ki!’ Lol
Great post :)

23 SoliloNo Gravatar { 07.05.09 at 10:48 pm }

I started reading this post and smiled thinking oh! this has to be a KV-ian. The logo confirmed it.

Good old days. All those songs you mentioned and I also remember ‘Aakasha Ganga surya chandra..’ in Gujarati. Those Saavdhaan-Vishram days under the hot sun. Pledge, thought and news of the day, National anthem. PT on Saturdays. :D
Many fainted on Saturday in the hot sun. :) Also, nail and hair checking out of the blue and those with dirty nails and boys with long hair out of the line and sent home. Ha..ha..ha..

Nikhil, this was another nostalgia after my rain post.

24 snails » Blog Archive » DMK thinks they are Chennai Super Kings (Express India) { 07.06.09 at 4:51 am }

[...] Asato Ma Sat Gamaya [...]

25 rahulNo Gravatar { 07.09.09 at 3:15 pm }

nostalgic post

26 Sajith MNo Gravatar { 07.09.09 at 5:49 pm }

Nostalgic for sure.. Did not realize that the logo had changed.. The new one [http://www.kvsangathan.nic.in/KVS1.bmp] is more colorful :)

27 shaifaliNo Gravatar { 07.13.09 at 2:23 pm }

i do remember saavdhaan vishraam so well! :)

28 gNo Gravatar { 07.16.09 at 10:45 am }

Wonder how I missed this. I’m not a KV-ite, but yes, you did bring back good times. Didn’t know you guys learnt songs in all those regional languages – fascinating! Nice one! :)

g

29 Agni SharmanNo Gravatar { 07.16.09 at 3:42 pm }

Savdhan and Vishram were both same to me during the assembly meetings and in class room.

The only song that i loved to sing along during the prayer song was “hum Kho man ki shakthi dhena…”
For all other songs in any language, I made sure that I had all the shirt buttons of all the those were standing on the stage and behin to beat the bore…

Like Mahesh said I did not agree to “Made for ‘made to remember’ songs” right from my school days

30 shilpaNo Gravatar { 07.20.09 at 8:45 pm }

OMG this could have been me writing…..I studied in a KV all my life and have awesome memories!

We did sing some regional songs too. Like ‘ekla chalo ekla chalo re’ (Bengali), oriya, sometimes telugu even, but I agree, it was mostly Hindi, not even english. But we were in Hyderabad, and Hindi was quite pervasive so we didnt mind I guess.
Bharat ka swarnim gaurav still brings a tear to my eyes :(

31 shilpaNo Gravatar { 07.20.09 at 8:47 pm }

The school diary used to have all these songs na? I used to read it and sing along whenever I was bored. Janmakariki Bharatam has a beautiful rhythm and meaning.

32 nazia khanNo Gravatar { 07.22.09 at 5:09 pm }

hey u made me recall my school days…i m nt KVian bt i m CMSian bt assembly was almost same…assembly was fr 45 min…n dat included school songs, prayer, thought, divine thought, story, virtue, transparency, pledge, speech from principal….it was long bt those were the days..thanks..

33 Shantharam Shenoy KNo Gravatar { 07.23.09 at 2:54 pm }

Hey Nikhil, hi…first time to your site…came to know about this through Preeti, she had put your interview link as her status message and thats how i found your blog.. I absolutely dont have the time to go through all of your post now..but i promise to be back, hopefully very soon..

Cheers
Shantharam Shenoy K

34 maddyNo Gravatar { 07.25.09 at 4:16 am }

boy! we had assemblies everyday, indoors!! prayers followed by news reading for a chosen but nervous wreck and an even greater wreck in tears who has to make an extempore speech…before a group of uniform clad 500 or so pupils and some 50 teachers

35 maddyNo Gravatar { 07.25.09 at 4:17 am }

forgot to add – nalla puthiya minnunna randhal (hurricane lamp) – have never seen one of that hue…

36 maddyNo Gravatar { 07.25.09 at 4:18 am }

what – it has a bulb!!

37 rajNo Gravatar { 07.26.09 at 12:52 am }

send me the links for those songs

38 NikhilNo Gravatar { 07.26.09 at 5:30 pm }

@jj
Thanks.Please spread the word about my singing talent ;)
@Ps
Thanks Ps.I do not remember this one though.
@Bincy
Thanks for visiting and the comment.Thanks again.
@Soorya
Someone agrees with my comment on Asato Ma.
Thanks for the comment.:)
@Manu
Thanks aliya!
Oh ya, how can I forget this one.
I myself would have fallen twice :D
@Ramya
Thanks for dropping by and for the comment.
Great to know you liked.
@Sg
Yes,welcome to KV ,sire!
yes yes,totally :)

39 NikhilNo Gravatar { 07.26.09 at 5:35 pm }

@BG Mahesh
Good to see you here :-)
Thanks for the comment.
I used to like Social Sciences, now I love them.
Very much agree with your comment on history.
@/urgu
Thanks for the comment. :)
@manuscrypts
Bhavans tried to copy KVs to a large extent
:D
@Balu
Check reply above :D

40 NikhilNo Gravatar { 07.26.09 at 5:42 pm }

@Shruti
Thanks for visiting.
Ouch! Harsh words…….ya, may be the standard has deteriorated.
@Praveen
Thanks dey! What would have happened to you w’out those assemblies! I shudder to think!
@Mrunmay
Thanks dude for the comment.
Ya,Bhavans schools had many thinks common with KVs including SUPW.
@Cyn
Aaah! I told you the day you wrote you SUPW post that I can relate to every bit of KV related stuff.
Thanks!
@gazal
Good to hear such a pov.

41 NikhilNo Gravatar { 07.26.09 at 5:46 pm }

@Manish Jha
Thanks!
@Arby K
Thanks,ya KVs had these things
@RoflIndian
Thanks for the comment.
God,you know more than me! :)
@Solilo
Thengue ;) for the comment.
Ya,those days…
@rahul
Thanks!
@Sajith M
Thanks aliya! Ya,saw the new logo, looks bad!
@shaifali
Okay, Saavdhaan!!

42 NikhilNo Gravatar { 07.26.09 at 11:03 pm }

@g
You are not regular here! ;(
Thanks.
@Agni
I am not suprised.
@shilpa
Thanks for the visit.Thanks a lot for the comment.
Have managed to get a school diary.Will try uploading.
@nazia khan
Thanks for dropping by and for the comment.
@Shanatharam
Thanks :)
@maddy
Thanks. That must be a fraud raanthal.Will try getting a real one.May be that could be your next post,let me throw some light.

43 NikhilNo Gravatar { 07.26.09 at 11:07 pm }

@raj
Will try uploading them,give me some time.

44 Raghunandan BhargavaNo Gravatar { 07.29.09 at 1:48 pm }

Nikhil…It has been nice reading this one…I still remember all those songs and they are close to my heart…I was in KV Bhandara(it was in Bhopal Region)…

45 Agni SharmanNo Gravatar { 07.30.09 at 7:45 am }

As long as there is tests (exams), there will be public prayers in Schools.

46 Pramathesh BorkotokyNo Gravatar { 08.06.09 at 11:44 am }

*** WARNING : Read this comment at your own risk! ****

Well, a very nice post! I was always confused about this songs, actually our whole class was a confused lot and these songs increased our confusion.
There was one Bengali song ‘Ekla Cholo Re’ (Walk Alone ????), I always wondered why 300 + students sing this song together.
And I thought Aata Utwoo Saare Raan was some kind of inspirational Song which inspired kids to eat Rotis which as a kid we were quite bored of.

47 KrishnaNo Gravatar { 08.08.09 at 8:28 pm }

Nikhil,

You sure brought back my old memories. I’m not from KV but there used to be one program in Akashavani, Hyderabad kendra. This used to be telecast on Sunday after noon’s (just before National News) and was hosted by one named “Chitharanajan”. He used to teach one song a month and we leanrt all those that you mentioned and many more. In fact, we used to have a song for every major Indian language. We wrote all the songs and religiously learnt all the songs. I used to be a hit at the school functions because, I sang these songs, whenever I got a chance. Somehow, I lost that book – tried with several sources (except with AIR, of course) but could not really get to see the lyrics and tunes for some odd ones (though I remember those that you mentioned here).

It’ll be really great, if we can get the lyrics, tunes (some thing like MP3 versions) somewhere of all these patriotic songs. I’m sure, my daughter studying in these “phoren” schools, missing all these. This is probably something (or the only thing) that I can pass on as my childhood treasure to my kids!

- KK

48 madhuriNo Gravatar { 09.15.09 at 7:29 am }

hi nikhil, while searching for the song ‘ jai jai he bhagawati sur bharati…….’, i came across your blog. once i had tought this song to my students but in transfers, i have lost its lyrics, mainly second stanza, if you remember, will you send one to me? its urgent. by the way, my kids are kviets, and i was contractual teacher for 4 -5 years in different kv schools.

49 UshaNo Gravatar { 09.23.09 at 4:39 pm }

Hi Nikhil! Am new here.
I just stumbled upon the lyrics of some of the songs sung in school assemblies, when I was scrolling down. I thought you were from my school… am from Ernakulam and used in study in one of the popular private schools there. And all the songs you’ve listed out were sung in my school too. Felt good going through those now.
But I also used to have a secret dread of these assemblies cos my mind was always on an incomplete, badly done or non existent homework. hehe!

50 NikhilNo Gravatar { 09.23.09 at 5:00 pm }

@Raghunandan Bhargava
Thanks for visiting and good to see your comment.

@Agni
;-) You bleddy back bencher!Shat app!

@Pramathesh Borkotoky
Welcome to this blog and thanks for the comment.
@Krishna
Thanks for the comment.
Any KV school diary should have all these songs listed, not at all difficult, imo.
@madhuri
Thanks for the comment.That one I had as a photo and so could mail you.Please check your inbox.

@Usha
Thanks for visiting and for the comment.I am sure,that is Bhavans and some of the people who commented earlier are Bhavans guys.
I studied in KV Pangode,Trivandrum (I am sure that has been mentioned here and there on this blog/post)
LOL, that is an interesting thing[on the HW connection]

51 madhuriNo Gravatar { 09.23.09 at 7:55 pm }

hi nikhil, thanks for prompt reply. when i was in northeast, the song was not there in kv diary and i assumed that in pune school also it will not be there. when i got your mail with song attachment, i verified with my daughter’s diary, it was there.
anyway, thanks a lot once again. you proved the culture of KV.

52 deepaliNo Gravatar { 10.03.09 at 10:18 am }

Hi, with these post i became younger by 19 years.I passed out in 1990 batch, Avadi, Madras( In those days nit Chennai) I am sure u all remember those marches, drills on saturdays, laddus on 26th Jan anf 15th August with patriotic songs on loudpspeakers .Line for late comers with punishment of 1 round of track! Good Old memories!!
Can anyone forward me the song- Bharat KA swarnim Gaurav..Pleeeeease

53 BharathNo Gravatar { 10.08.09 at 1:06 am }

You might have seen a coment similar to this for the nth time. :D . But I bow to you mate, your blog on KV songs is just the best! Its like I was almost folding my hands and looking over at the assembly stage waiting for the music teacher (with a shaky front tooth and a harmonium) to guide us through the song. :D

Cheers!!

Nama

54 NanditaNo Gravatar { 10.12.09 at 10:01 pm }

Hi Nikhil…thanks for bringing back good old KV memories. Was in KV until my 12th Std :) . Enjoyed reading your post. I also landed up here looking for “jaya jaya hai bhagwati”. Do you have the lyrics? We were taught a bengali song “ae desh ae desh oomor ae desh”. Don’t know if it was the official KV Bengali song though. Don’t remember the Punjabi and Kashmiri song.

55 arunaNo Gravatar { 10.22.09 at 10:53 am }

Can i please have the lyrics of all those patriotic songs mentioned here?

56 NikhilNo Gravatar { 10.23.09 at 12:33 am }

@madhuri
The pleasure is mine
@deepali
Yes!I have mailed you.
@Bharath
Thanks :)
@Nandita
Mailed you. :)
@aruna
All the songs? mmm…If any one of them,then it is easier for me to mail across the scanned version.
Get hold of a KV school diary,has all the songs.Let me know if you are unable to.

57 MrunmayNo Gravatar { 10.23.09 at 10:08 am }

Dude you seem to have the lyrics of these songs…could you pls mail them to me as well?

58 Nikhil NarayananNo Gravatar { 10.23.09 at 11:06 am }

@Raj @Krishna @aruna @Mrunmay and others
Download the zip file with images of a KV school diary.

59 MrunmayNo Gravatar { 10.23.09 at 11:22 am }

Many thanks!!

60 dhanyaNo Gravatar { 11.15.09 at 8:32 pm }

Hi Nikhil

this is a real nice write up. feels nostalgic reading it. i guess a lot of us never liked these when we really were out there in the hot sun in the morning! but now, i really miss all that!

61 AdukalaVisheshamNo Gravatar { 12.02.09 at 9:47 am }

The blog brought complete nostalgia to me… took me back to my school days….Even being a malayee the malayalam song lyrics was too difficult to understand…

62 ritwikNo Gravatar { 12.02.09 at 8:22 pm }

could i get any free mp3 file of kv songs specialy daya kar daan

63 SudeepNo Gravatar { 12.16.09 at 12:49 pm }

Hey.. am also a KVite.. those days (when I was in school) I used to bug my parents a lot for having me study in a KV while my sister studied in a private school. But today wen I sit and restrospect am glad am a KVite. I am part of a legacy.
Read in one of the comments that KVs have lost their sheen. Says who?
My KV in Ahmedabad is by far one of the best schools in the city with excellent infrastructure that includes computer labs (yes in the plural) skating rink, swimming pool and a gym… KVs have come of age i guess…
The songs that you emntioned took me to a different era altogether. We used to have these songs minus the ones in Kannada, Tamil, Telugu or Bengali (guess we were in west that is why) We had a new school song being introduced.. Dunno if it was an ingeneuous composition of our music teacher.. the song went — Chandav van sa mohak pyara.. chandan van sa raaj dulaara.. poore bhaarat ka pratik hai, Kendriya Vidyalaya pyara…

64 Naveen( K.V.Ktym)No Gravatar { 02.01.10 at 11:12 pm }

Wow.. the power of music is great, took me right back to the back of that assembly line where I always try to hide from teachers cuz I was late!!

Can anyone tell me the beginning of this song……..

Naadri thi thom thana na nadri thi thom…

Ankhom mein anurag liye…ah..ah..ah.. liye nayan par akila gaghan…ah…ah..ah..

65 NidhiNo Gravatar { 02.25.10 at 11:47 am }

Great ya ,which year pass out you are?Andwhich K.V.

66 Utkarsh ChoudharyNo Gravatar { 03.07.10 at 1:49 pm }

Great work Nikhil… u really made me go thru a flashback of my KV school days.. i m proud to be a KVian.. from 1st to 12th standard…

1st-10th : KV No.2 CPE Itarsi
11th: KV VFJ Jabalpur
12th: KV No.1 Bhopal

67 گђrιηι∂ђι ..No Gravatar { 03.09.10 at 3:21 pm }

Dear Nikhil!! As I was reading your post I was singing almost all the songs you mention here with the tune!! :) Oh yes–I remember them all! and all the way i was laughing out loud..sitting in my office.. tryin to explain my colleagues wta i was actually reading.. and All u people who have commented so wholeheartedly.. love u guyz…. such wonderful memories of being in KV…no doubt why we are so proud of our schools :P
Lovely lovely post.
Cheers

P.S: am putting the link to all my KV friends ..to read this one! made my day.
and also ..is it..KVians or KVites..? :) sumbody please explain!

68 BrindaNo Gravatar { 03.28.10 at 1:32 pm }

Felt great reading the post! Ah…for the good old days! You know what Nikhil, it just feels like i am there and I still remember singing ekla chalo…the others have left a smaller imprint on me. But Asato maa…I agree with you, even i thought it was some alien language and finally by 12th i realized that it was Hindi after all! Thanks man…look forward to such posts from you!

69 Kiran VVNNo Gravatar { 03.29.10 at 4:07 am }

I still have all the dairies of my 10 years. Showing my kids them sometimes :) . Thanks for the refresh :)

70 saritaNo Gravatar { 04.04.10 at 10:51 pm }

hey nikhil dunno which kv u cm frm but dis blog of urs took me 17 yrs back… wo har subah ghanti ka bajna.. lining up,, n ya heightwise …till class 5-6 always wanting 2 be in front but thr after trying 2 find a safe place at da back which allowed a fair opportunity 2 chat wid buddys…prarthana…aaj ke samachar raman sadan ki ore se…aaj ka vichar…princi’s words of wisdom…n back to class…u kno i smhow hated being a student then….but 2day …even da memories r precious…thnx 4 bringing a smile just for wat we had been…!!

71 shantanuNo Gravatar { 04.15.10 at 2:17 pm }

Brother this is awesome agreat work i remembered my school days. Truly those were the golden days

72 AmrutaNo Gravatar { 04.19.10 at 11:59 am }

heyy…since yesterady i hav been humming this assamese song n not able to recall d lyrics, so thot of searchin them on net, n Lo i come across ur blog! really even after more than a decade all d KV songs r still stuck in our memory :) . The daily dose in school is still showing its hangover effect & m not complaining!!..cheers!! :)

73 Indian in NZNo Gravatar { 05.15.10 at 5:07 am }

OMG ! Awesome, awesome post !!
Took me back to the morning assembly and I was singing the songs as I read your post..how clearly I can remember them now even though its been more than two decades. Had forgotten about : ye mati more…, aata uthwu sare raan, hind desh ke niwasi..thanks for bringing back the memories.
You made my day ! Came here looking for ‘bharat ka swarnim gaurav’..
So proud to be a KVite, but I have heard from some of my KV friends that they aren’t putting their kids in KVs anymore. Hoping to visit two of the KVs I studied in, on my next trip to India.

74 Vivek GuptaNo Gravatar { 05.30.10 at 5:44 pm }

Hi Nikhil,
Thanks for posting those songs. You have really done a great job. I did my 10th from KV2 Hindan in 1991. From this platform, I wis I will find my old friends.

75 NirmalaNo Gravatar { 06.22.10 at 7:37 am }

Niks,

Just read this post and the latest “In School” post. Superb as always :) Was singing all songs and was pleasantly surprised how I can still remember most of the lyrics!

Remembered couple of more songs:
“Lahar lahar yeh bharath rashtra pathaka”,
“Jhanda ooncha rahe hamara”

Keep writing – always nice to walk down the memory lanes !!

76 AnirudhNo Gravatar { 06.25.10 at 2:42 pm }

Feels like it was a whole lifetime ago man!! Great job on the blog :-) Our friends are closer than we realize

77 sathya nairNo Gravatar { 06.26.10 at 2:42 pm }

hi
my son is just stepped into his first grade andthe the song that he sang for his first talent hunt was hind desh ke niwasi .i very badly wantedto get hold of my kv dairy and i was searching the web ,thanks a ton for these precious pages

78 sathya nairNo Gravatar { 06.28.10 at 2:55 pm }

hi nikil do you rememberthis song
yeh darthi hindustan ki -2 .na teri hai na meri hai ,yeh beti kisi kisan ki .do share if you have the lyrics

79 PrachiNo Gravatar { 07.06.10 at 11:19 pm }

Hey . . Its really a nice archive of memories which then appeared as rules but now we miss those rules. .
Do you remember this song “Ye mandiron ka desh hai,ye masjidon ki jameen , mera watan khuda ka ghar. . .”.if you have please post me the lyrics.

80 PrachiNo Gravatar { 07.06.10 at 11:22 pm }

Hey. . Nice . .

81 spinal patelNo Gravatar { 07.20.10 at 11:06 am }

hey nikhil,
im a bhavanite and i was searching for these songs….. i searched for my school diary but cant find it….
can u pls send me lyrics or links of video if any…..
thnx….

82 Shashi BhattNo Gravatar { 08.05.10 at 10:54 pm }

Hi all!
I am also proud to be a KVite .
Can anyone send me the lyrics of song ” Yeh Mandiron ke Desh hai”?
It’s urgent.

83 nikhilNo Gravatar { 08.15.10 at 4:37 pm }

i want to piano notes (sargam) for daya kar daan vidya kaa ? anyone can help

84 ARDRANo Gravatar { 09.20.10 at 7:32 pm }

Hello dear KVians. I’m also a KVian.Now I’m studying in 12th in K V 1,naval base,Kochi.I liked ur site. I was acutually looking for the lyrics of our marching song and stumbled upon this blog.

RAMYA, we have “sahana vavatu” as part of our prayer.

And “asatoma sadgamaya” is not hindi.It is sanskrit.
We also have some more songs-”chand sitarom se hum iski maang sajaayenge…….” , “ek hai gagan ek rahi……..” and “o rat ke tara….” These were introduced by our new music mam.

The meaning of prayer song (Daya kar dan vidya ka……..) was explained to us by our hindi teacher in the assembly.Her name is RAJANI.P .(TGT Hindi).She is a really wonderful teacher & is my favourite teacher ever. If anyone of you know her, please,please,please…………………… mail me.
[SNIP]
The comments r also very nice.

85 Hari Das KumaranNo Gravatar { 11.22.10 at 4:25 pm }

Hey I am a KVian too. Nice site. brought back my good old memories of music classes.

I am looking for the lyrics for the song “jai jai hai bhagwati sur bharati”. Can you please mail it to me???

Thanks in advance,

Hari

86 BalsuNo Gravatar { 12.17.10 at 4:14 pm }

it is now 16 years after life(of KV). yet all the songs mentioned in your posts are fresh with tunes. we also had sweeping duties (at least in the 4 KVs in which I studied) which we volunteered to avoid the prayers. There was also “Jayajan Bharata Jan mana abhimata, jana gana tantraa vidhataa, ” which is missed in your post. Keep rocking

87 shikharNo Gravatar { 02.15.11 at 3:08 pm }

Guess how I landed on this page .. searching for “aye mati re” song. Struck by nostalgia at KV bagdogra, love those days !!!

88 KalyaniNo Gravatar { 02.16.11 at 11:15 pm }

Hey Nikhil,

Me and my brother (both of us were KVites) and live 10000 miles apart.We were singing all the good old songs from our KV Diary and I wanted a copy of all these songs and just googled for them and now here I am.

Just wanted to thank you.

Thanks a bunch !!!

89 jyotsanaNo Gravatar { 04.02.11 at 5:27 am }

thanx nikhil…..i found my fav. saraswati vandana through ur blog. ….thanx a lot!!!!!!! i got my school days back!!!! :-)

90 GauravNo Gravatar { 05.01.11 at 12:07 pm }

Great topic Nikhil! Congratulations

I was looking for something like this for many years. Brings back memories instantly

The last time I did the saavdhaan vishraam was over 20 years ago!

I remember the following(maybe wrong because of the long time gone)
1) Assemble class-wise in the morning; junior to senior, left to right; shorter kids in front, separate lines for boys and girls
2) On a raised stage in front, a group of students selected for the week (or day?) , music teacher with harmonium, a student with tabla, and other teachers at one side (or back?)
3) Start with Om, and Asatoma sadgamaya and Daya Kar Daan Vidya Ka
4) I think then was a song from the set that all kids knew
5) Pledge (I am Indian and all Indians are my brothers and sisters – we used to skip the ‘sisters’ part ;) )
6) News read out by a student
7) All this while teachers and prefects checking hair, nails, shoes walking up the queues
Of course games, PT, SUPW, etc. etc.

I remember most of the songs you mentioned – I started singing some, much to the amazement of people around me

Thanks for the song diary scans
Wondering if its possible to get audio files of these songs

Thanks !

91 sudhaNo Gravatar { 05.23.11 at 6:06 am }

hey Nikhil
cant tell u how many memories your post has kindled…loved ur blog, came here while looking for KV school songs..and seems like we could have gone to the same school…maybe not..but KV system has def achieved its goal of unifying education track in india..:)

92 Sudhir KuduchkarNo Gravatar { 09.09.11 at 1:39 am }

Hi!!
GOOD OLD SCHOOL DAY!!! u took me almost 20 to 25 years back…thanks to you…i was in KV Aurangabad and then KV Ahmedabad No1

93 Vishal BarveNo Gravatar { 09.28.11 at 6:48 pm }

Dear Frnds,
really missing those days.

I tried my best to search the “Ae Mati re Moro mote” in our style but couldn’t find the same.
However found a good link which contain mostly of the songs.

94 ShanthiNo Gravatar { 09.29.11 at 7:46 pm }

Wow…good old KV days….I just uploaded jay jay he bhagwati after an unsuccessful search for the lyrics- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izso2_9g0yk…So glad to find this, Thanks for uploading…I see that I have made a spelling mistake with ‘madirastam no’…

95 priyaNo Gravatar { 10.12.11 at 4:21 pm }

hi dear,
i love the prayer song at devolali kv school no1 i.e, “daya kar dan vidya ka………….

missing those days

96 Maya K. NairNo Gravatar { 12.24.11 at 2:37 pm }

OMG!! I ws searchg 4 d lyrics of jai jai he bhagavathi sur bharati wen i accidently bumped into ur blog…..I am badly missing my school days….dey wer sooo wonderful…really proud to say I am KVian…
Thanks for that post…

97 Ajay Singh ChauhanNo Gravatar { 01.03.12 at 3:09 am }

You made me nostalic, Thanks for your Post

98 NirmalNo Gravatar { 02.24.12 at 12:10 pm }

Thank NIKHIL u have bring smile on my face….So much memory of School days (KV offcourse!!!) .Feeling so good to sing two three line of all these songs u have mentioned (coz forgot the lyrics) now realizing the real meaning of it.

@ Preeti: Duty during Morning assembly…yeahhh i was always wanted to be on duty taki morning assembly bunk ker saku …LOL :-)

99 PriyaNo Gravatar { 03.07.12 at 8:02 pm }

Thanks to my 4-yr old pre-schooler, I started singing all patriotic songs I knew and I logged on to the net to check the popular kannada patriotic song. That’s how I came across your lovely blog. Gosh! What a flood of nostalgia…like everybody else who’s read this, even I’ve been singing all these songs as I read your blog. Great write up! Thanks! Oh and thanks for reminding me about Milkey Chalo..we used to have fun singing the slow and fast bits…esp..the Chalo bhai line. :)

100 RameshNo Gravatar { 07.13.12 at 4:25 pm }

Do you have the MP3 songs sung by KV students in the assembly. I know somebody was eager to record it when i was in school but never understood why. Now I can when i myself am trying hard to get the MP3.

101 NikhilNo Gravatar { 07.13.12 at 4:48 pm }

@Ramesh – No. Hope you find it.

Thanks everyone else.