A dozen kb of fame

Now, The Hindu said something interesting :-)

Update:

One of the Q/A from the my email reply to Nita Sathyendran

2. looking through nikhil’s musings it appears u have a lot of info on Kerala why is that ie. why unlike most blogs by most mallus u stuck to Kerala, specifically Tvm issues ( local content) in a very postive way…and not cribbing as is generally done.

Ans:Blogs that sling mud at Kerala,its people,the skewed development indices are dime a dozen. Most of these people are arm chair critics staying far away from the state(in literary and figurative sense); they find it fashionable to criticize the state and the people. Hartal,unionism,communism,eve teasing,lack of development, bad roads etc being their cliched weapons against the state. They are not interested in doing something for Kerala or investing in Kerala. Incapable cynics there are, to say the least. How many of them have thought of ways to tackle hartals? How many of them would invest in the state? Is eve teasing only Kerala’s problem? How many of them who flashed their blogs with pot holed roads,wrote about the JNURM Volvo buses?

No related posts.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1 PraveenNo Gravatar { 10.22.09 at 2:16 pm }

haha
great going alle? ;)

2 scorpiogeniusNo Gravatar { 10.22.09 at 3:57 pm }

world famous in India! ;)

3 AnilNo Gravatar { 10.23.09 at 10:15 am }

Like you implied, the ‘crib theme’ populates the blogosphere, much easier to vent than to construct.

The ‘bad’ hits one in the face, but the ‘good’, well, one needs to go looking for it.

Way to go, Nikhil.

4 shailNo Gravatar { 10.23.09 at 11:53 am }

I don’t know about the rest of the things nor am I competent to evaluate it. But I can tell you about eve-teasing in Kerala. Just by being a woman and someone who is ‘still living here’ and ‘has been for long’ (including schooling and college) I think I am competent to make a reference to it. Of course eve-teasing is not found only in Kerala. But take it from someone who has spent most of her life in her home state and also has done a bit of travelling and staying and moving around in other states to make enough comparisons, I can certainly say with certainty that in eve-teasing and/or rather the ‘staring’ (vaay nottam) and use of raw words to describe the anatomy as a woman passes by (however old or young she might be) as also groping women in crowded places, Kerala ranks somewhere at the very top of the list. And if you move around wearing modern dresses (by which I mean jeans and such) the position of the state moves even higher. By comparison for example, an average woman like me can move around freely without being pushed and shoved and groped even in the most ‘modern’ dress in the busiest places in Gujarat. This is unthinkable in Kerala. Just experience speaking whether it is liked or not.
If you see this as a ‘crib’ please consider it again. I have done my ‘constructive bit’ of ‘tackling’ this problem that women face by bringing up two sons who are not the staring and vaay nokki kind. That is my ‘contribution,’ what I could do as a homemaker and stay at home mom for the so called society .
Glad to read about your interview. I do read your blogs quite often. Today this matter caught my eye and I decided to leave a comment.

5 NikhilNo Gravatar { 10.23.09 at 12:20 pm }

@Praveen
Athe athe :D

@Scorpio
No,in Trivandrum
@Anil
Thanks for the visit.Good you agreed. :)

6 NikhilNo Gravatar { 10.23.09 at 12:28 pm }

@shail
Thanks for the comment.
I do not advocate eve teasing.
I agree with you.I know the situation from friends and cousins.Have heard stories from a North Indian friend and her stint in Calicut.
What I meant was,the situation is worse or similar in a place 50 odd km from any of the metros and better off towns.
But,as they say two wrongs do not make a right.
Also,my angst was against cutting the ground from under oneself (Irikkunna komb murikkal-ish)and flooding the interwebs with such rants.

7 laymanNo Gravatar { 10.23.09 at 2:21 pm }

Great to see your blog got the visibility it deserves.
(Not that it wasn’t visible before :) )

There are way too many trash sites on the net, churning trash day in, day out. Really wonder what good such sites can ever do.

I enjoy reading your website, as much as I enjoy reading scorpio’s and ajay’s. Keep going maashe, there are some of us who feel what you are doing is noble and not escapism.

PS: Liked Shail’s comment on how she contributed to the eve teasing problem. We men, believe it or not, are as flustered as you are by this problem of eve teasing. Not because we are direct victims of this mental and physical torture but because we are also swept into this broad generalization. Wish things could have been different for the women in our state.

8 scorpiogeniusNo Gravatar { 10.23.09 at 3:14 pm }

I agree we mallu men have a behavioural problem when there is an xx chromosome in sight but things have not gone totally out of control if you see it from an Indian perspective.

We’ve seen Policemen involved in multiple rape of even minors in Mumbai, in Bihar the whole regiment of higher Police Officers were suspended and transferred because of that shameful mass-groping incident which happened in mid-town in broad daylight. How many incidents like this have happened in Chennai, Hyderabad and the likes which surely wouldn’t happen anywhere in Kerala. True, there have been Vithura, sooryanelli et al but are such incidents happening only in Kerala? Kerala is the one state where red streets are not officially existing despite the pan-Metro outlook of our state.

I’m not justifying all the co-mallu men but many a times this eve teasing and misbehaviour to men is treated as a Kerala-exclusive condition but thats not always the case.

9 Arby KNo Gravatar { 10.24.09 at 3:47 am }